10/29/12

God's voice...

Reading the verses below Nehemiah's boldness stood out to me. Nehemiah asked the king for so much. God had clearly given/shown him favor with king Artaxerxes. 

Nothing can stand in the way of God's plan. Not your position, finances, other people etc... However Nehemiah knew his place and was respectful in it.

When the king asked Nehemiah "what he would ask for" before Nehemiah spoke he asked God what he should ask for. Every moment during these happenings were instructed by God. Nehemiah invited and allowed God to make every decision. He allowed himself to be completely directed by God.

How many times do I have a knee jerk reaction to the situation in my own life? We must keep God in the forefront and allow Him to make our choices for us. Inquire and be concerned with how God wants us to respond.

Two questions I'm asking God:
How do I hear Your voice clearly?
How do you speak to me?


Nehemiah 2:1-8

New International Version (NIV)

Artaxerxes Sends Nehemiah to Jerusalem

I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, “May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?
The king said to me, “What is it you want?”
Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, “If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried so that I can rebuild it.”
Then the king, with the queen sitting beside him, asked me, “How long will your journey take, and when will you get back?” It pleased the king to send me; so I set a time.
I also said to him, “If it pleases the king, may I have letters to the governors of Trans-Euphrates, so that they will provide me safe-conduct until I arrive in Judah? And may I have a letter to Asaph, keeper of the royal park, so he will give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel by the temple and for the city wall and for the residence I will occupy?” And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests.




2 comments:

Paula said...

That's what I've been learning this week since my injury. I even thanked God for it! I told him that if it took breaking my arm to get my attention, so be it. I'm all ears, now! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! Nehemiah is such a great book of the Bible! Encouraging, isn't it?