4/30/10

Gracious Uncertainty...

This is the title of me reading yesterday...I love this perspective. It read like this:

Our natural inclination is to be so precise to try always to forecast accurately what will happen next that we look upon uncertainty as a bad thing. We think that we must reach some predetermined goal, but that is not the nature of the spiritual life. The nature of the spiritual life is that we are certain in our uncertainty. Consequently, we do not put down roots. Our common sense says, "Well, what if I were in that circumstance?" We cannot presume to see ourselves in any circumstance in which we have never been. Certainty is the mark of the commonsense life GRACIOUS UNCERTAINTY IS THE MARK OF THE SPIRITUAL LIFE.

It goes on to say:

The spiritual life is a life of a child...

when we have the right relationship with God, life is full of spontaneous joyful uncertainty and expectancy.

While I was reading this yesterday I was thinking about how our children have to live in uncertainty all the time. I specifically thought of Colton, since Brittani is getting older she has more of an opinion about where we go and what we do.Although this applies to her as well. How many time in a day, a week, a month, a year do my kids have to adjust to change. Changes that their dad and I bring. Where we eat, where we go, how we do things., what we do. Sometimes they like it sometimes they don't. Sometimes we give them a choice sometimes we don't, and some times we can't. However the outcome is always the same no matter the joy or the fight. They WILL go or do. How many times in actuality do they just blindly go along..tra la la...just trusting that we are always doing what is best for them. They have faith that we know what we are doing and we know how it should be done and so when change comes, or the unexpected comes they move and change, shift and conform without even thinking with out hesitation.

The Spiritual life is the life of a child...

yes I believe it is.
B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well my kids almost always come along kicking and screaming! I mean I can say to them let's go to superior dairy and they'll still say no thanks we just want to stay home!!!! When we are going somewhere Sal and I know that we have to brace ourselves for a fight!!!! My children must be like me... maybe that is how God thinks when he's trying to take me somewhere and I'm kicking and screaming. Maybe God is trying to take me to Superior! Crazy!
-josie

Brandi said...

That's right Josie!!! Maybe He is trying to take me to superior Dairy too!! That analogy will stay in my mind forever!!! Thank you