9/19/09

A New Book...

This is the new book I'm reading...I've joined the worship ministry at our new church and this is my required reading...I've been instructed to read a chapter a week and send in my thoughts by email every Friday...I thought I would share with you what I sent...I'm really enjoying the book...who knows maybe I'll share with you each week as I share with them...

Chapter 1:
Wow what a great book!!! I started highlighting in the introduction!

Well let me begin with sharing my personal memory verses with you…

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20
And
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalms 139:23

My overview…kind of
Character, Authenticity and Integrity...these are all so intertwined for me…I talk about integrity a lot with my children…actually my husband and I feel that it is one of the keys to this Christ walk we are on…the definition of integrity I live by and hopefully am successfully teaching my children is…integrity is what you do in the dark…in other words you will truly know where your integrity stands when know one is watching and the choices you make in those moments…
I have a great story that actually just happened with my teenage daughter…God is so awesome!!! I love the teachable/learning moments He gives us.
Just before school my daughter and I were school clothes shopping at forever 21…the way we handle school clothes shopping with her is…we give her the cash and she is responsible to budget out all she wants with the money she is given…this year she was getting a considerable amount less because we just didn’t have more then that to give…but of course we wanted her to learn to appreciate what ever she was given and to be thankful…anywho…she was a very good little shopper…she got several outfits and a huge purse instead of a back pack…as we headed over to pay for her treasures they were turning the lights off in the store…you know that ever so subtle hint that the store is closing…we purchased our items and headed to the car…as I checked her receipt I realized they didn’t charge us for the purse which was about $30.00…now being short on cash for a split second I thought Man that extra 30 could come in handy…then I thought what am I thinking hello…I turned to her and told her Hey they didn’t charge us for the purse…we will have to come back tomorrow and pay for it! With out hesitation she was on bored and to our home we went…I started getting excited for her to see the expression on the forever 21 employees when they realized what we were doing and thanking God for this moment…I told my husband what happened and he said I want to go and I want Colton(our son) to see this too…soooo…the next day the whole family headed into the store and of course I was highlighting what integrity was and how easy it would be to keep the extra money and how some people may even say it was God’s way of providing…but how God doesn’t work that way…we got to the register and I had Brittani handle all the business as we all stood behind her excited with anticipation and wondering how they would respond…she stepped up put her purse on the counter with the receipt and said Hi!!! Ummmm I bought this purse last night with all this other stuff and you forgot to charge me for it. OH MY GOSH…the look on the cashiers face was priceless as the other cashiers turned to look the worker said…what??? Brittani said…You forgot to charge me for this and I need to pay for it…the cashier next to this girl comes over and says Hey so- in-so and so-in-so (cant remember their names) they were managers…we didn’t charge her for this and she brought it back to pay for it…they came over and thanked her and announced to the people in line…HEY WE DIDN'T CHARGE HER FOR THIS AND SHE BROUGHT IT BACK TO PAY FOR IT!!! It was hilarious!!! Of course I had to go over how we don’t need recognition for these things but I was also able to tell them that something like that can change someone’s life forever!!! Isn’t that a great story???

Being authentic in worship is a continuous prayer for me and when I say worship I mean as a lifestyle not just a song…praying that God keeps my motivations pure and right…and to make that truth in my life not just a desire. Also that I live life reflecting the hugeness of God…I truly believe that your worship is a reflection or a response might be a better way to put it…of how big God is to you…if you limit God in your life and you put limitation on God in what you allow him to do or what you believe he can do you have little tiny worship…but…if you are pressing into him continuously believing He is capable of all things and acknowledging Him as the creator of the universe...you have huge worship and that’s what I want to be a HUGE worshipper of our MAGNIFICENT God!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brandi. I came here from a link on a friend of mine's blog. And I wonder, does this worship you are talking about include the way you treat people? Because I know a few people who thought you were their friends and by the way one of them still cries when asked how you guys are doing, I question how much stuff you include in what you call worship as a lifestyle. Because if it includes friendship than i think you are a hypocrite - at least for the few friends that I know that called you friend once.
SG

Brandi said...

If you are talking about Rhonda (and Bruce) I love them very much and I believe they know that...I can see that you care about them also and they are lucky to have your friendship...I'm sorry that you feel the way you do...I know God knows all things and He knows my heart and I'm ok with where I stand in that...

Jen said...

SG-
I cannot let your comments go without a response in defense of my friend Brandi. I feel blessed to know Brandi and call her my friend. She is a woman of God, respectable, trustworthy, honest and humble. I am sad that you would use this platform to attempt to tear down someone's spirit.

Jen Gillum

Anonymous said...

I just have a few minutes before going to work, but wanted to respond.

Jen Gillum, I’m sorry you misunderstood my intentions. I didn’t intend to tear down Brandi’s spirit. I just get so angry reading posts like these knowing the damage she has caused to my friends so I was expressing what it looks like to me – an outsider. I believe everything you said of Brandi in her defense is correct. For one thing, you are not the only one who has told me that of her and for another, why would my friends grieve the loss of friendship over someone who was anything else. That doesn’t mean that she doesn’t act in hypocritical ways sometimes. Don’t we all? I know I do even when I don’t mean to. And I’m sure you don’t understand where my remarks come from anyways because Brandi probably hasn’t treated you this way. And you’re obviously not very close with those she has hurt. And this platform is the only place I have to respond to these posts.

Brandi, yes one of the friends I was talking about was Rhonda, but she is not the only one. And yes, God knows your heart, but does that really justify your actions? I’m sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine. Christians say “God knows my heart” all the time to justify or feel good about their actions and it makes me angry. And the way I see it, doesn’t your Bible say that your actions come from the condition of your heart? I know I’m judgmental, I admit that, but I just don’t see how Christians can act like this and then balk when they are called hypocrites.
And you’re probably right, the Kanes probably do know that you love them because they are like that. I really don’t understand why Rhonda defends you the way she does. But I wouldn’t be so sure if I were you. From what I have observed I can’t honestly understand why you think they would. I mean, how have your actions shown them that? Put yourself in their shoes for a minute and imagine that Jenn Gillum, since she appears to be a pretty good friend of yours, treated you the same way and see what conclusions you come to about how much you would know she valued you.
I would love to see what scriptures you use to prove that the way you have treated some of the people who called you friend (not just the Kanes) have been Godly.
I really hope that you don’t take this in the wrong way. I don’t even know you and I’m sure I would like you if I did. It just hurts me to see God’s church act like this. And I hope you can prove me wrong with Scripture.

Brandi said...

My heart says you should share the words you are using with the people you are representing...

Thanks Jen for your kind words...you didn't have to do that girlfriend...but thanks just the same...love ya

Anonymous said...

SG,
I am very disappointed in the way you have handled this situation. Instead of finding out the real person and the real heart of an individual, you took a cheap shot on the internet. You do NOT know Brandi if you call her a hypocrite. I believe Jen described Brandi and her character very well. Obviously your character is the one in question if you are not confident enough to put your name on what you believe. To ditto what Jen said, Brandi is Godly, trustworthy, honest, caring, loving, faithful, humble, strong, fair, transparent (NOT a hypocrite), and someone I consider a great friend. I am willing to discuss this further with you privately.
Paul Gillum

Debra D. said...

Please STOP everyone!!!
My heart breaks for all of us!!
SG- I hear pain in your words and am so sorry that you feel this way about christians, my prayer for you is that you would find healing in your heart through our beloved Jesus Christ!!
I know everyone involved in this exchange except SG and I KNOW that you are all trustworthy, faithful, caring, loving Christ Followers and I wish we could all reach out to one another in Christs LOVE and forgive each other for any hurt that we have caused one other and be healed in his name!!

Anonymous said...

Brandi, I'm not sure what you mean in your latest comment. I'm not here representing anyone. I was only speaking for myself from observations I've made.
And Paul Gillum, you are right. I DON'T know Brandi. As I stated earlier. To repeat myself, I am sure I would probably like her if I met her. And you can question my character if you want. I'm not afraid of that. I am on here anonymously because I don't trust how the church handles these situations. And I don't know why I would handle this with you privately. I don't even know you and it has nothing to do with you.

Debra, thank you for hearing me even if you don't agree with me.

Everyone, I'm truly sorry this has gone this direction. It was not my intention. I was hoping it might cause introspection instead of defensiveness.

Sorry again!

Rhonda said...

Oh Brandi I'm so sorry about this. Jen just called me to let me know about this conversation. I'm not really sure who SG is.

SG, you say you are not representing anyone, but this didn't exactly come across that way. And if you truly are my friend you should know that I would never handle things this way. I want to say in defense of Brandi that she is a woman who loves God with all of her heart and is striving to be more like Him daily. She's also human, but that doesn't make her a hypocrite. Obviously you do know me and if you want to talk, you know how to find me.

Brandi - I love you friend! I hope you don't ever forget that.
And way to go Brittani!!!

Denise Peters said...

Brandi~someone I have not known for very long but someone who I feel like I have known forever! Very genuine, caring and definitely a Woman of God!! Just wanted to say "thanks Brandi" for being the woman you are....like I have said to you before, you came into my life at a time when I needed a friend exactly like you! :) You and Darin both are very inspiring to Bobby and I. Thanks for being you! :)

Denise Peters

Amy said...

Our journey with God is just that a continuous journey! Brandi, Thank you for sharing what authentic worship means to you. The amazing trait of God is he knows how different we all are and each journey to be more like Him is just as different. We will fall and have to get up and start over again. That doesn't make us a hypocrite...it means we are human living in the flesh. I think we all have sorrows, regrets, things we would have done or said differently. Jesus died on the cross feeling the pain we have felt and sometimes caused. That is absolutely unquestionably the most amazing gift that although he never sinned he FELT our sins...grief, shame, sorrow, regret...as if he had done them himself so he would know how we felt. He died so when we do falter we can ask for forgiveness and hopefully change our path to become more authentic, more like Him each day. To have someone with that love for us is a treasure. When we defend someone based on one side of the story we attack character of people we don't even know. I have such a heart for not judging people - anyone - because we don't know THEIR story and THEIR heart. Until you have walked in their shoes keep your comments to yourself.
I am so thankful for some of the amazing friendships I have found, people that really know me and I am BLESSED to have in my life. People I strive to learn more from each day.
xoxo,
Amy

Bill S said...

Brandi ~ Thanks for being such a blessing in my life! I originally came to re-read this posting and post something about Brittani's shopping experience, but then I ran across all these previous comments. I was really hurting in my heart cause you don't deserve this. Debra D is right, this blog is meant to edify and uplift. I know you. I have seen the beautiful woman you have become inside, despite all the tough things you and our family has been through. You somehow seem to hurdle passed the trials and press on. I remember the day I met you, at your 16th birthday party. I had no idea you would have inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and start my own blog. Oh what a blessing to be able to pour our hearts out and testify to what God has done and is doing in our lives. That's what this is all about! Not a forum to tear down, but to build up. Don't let this discourage you, but let it encourage you. You are doing the right thing! Press on. You can see how your influence has effected your beautiful daughter. Look at the lives she is touching living out the Christian values you and Darin are instilling in her. Those little seeds of honesty and truth will someday take root. God supplies seed to the sower. Anybody want some seeds of kindness and brotherly love..... Just ask God. He is generous and will give it to you. All you have to do is sow it. Love you Bran ~

Brandi said...

Love you too!!
B