6/23/09

2nd commandment

Exodus Chapter 20 verse 4 (Exodus 20:4)
"Do not make idols of any kind, whether in the shape of birds or animals or fish. verse 5 goes on to say...You must never worship or bow down to them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other god?"
A few of the follow up questions or live it out questions in our study this week were/are these:
What idols have you created in your life? Have they performed as you expected?
How will you destroy these idols, and what will you replace them with?
This was and is a hard one for me...first of all I hated saying or referring to the things that I think about continuously talk about a lot...ummmm even allow my self to think about and talk about and dwell on more than God...as an IDOL...but...it helped me realize again something I already know...that even the things that you don't like, topics you hate, worries, concerns...can become or be idols in my life...even the things that start out good with motives pure and innocent can become idols...having children, raising children, friendships, getting married, work, ministry...if I'm really honest and take a look at my life and think about what I dwell on most, think about most, talk about most, sharing my passion for the most, spend my time doing the most...if I am unable to give God as the answer to each one of those I do have idols in my life...Ouch...
As for how will I destroy them and what will I replace them with...maybe the question should be will I destroy them and will I replace them with Christ?
We all know the correct answers to these questions...but will be do it...will I do it...well I hope so but I can say in all honesty...I haven't done it yet...


Funny little video:

No comments: