7/7/11

I think I stole 2 books tonight....

I had a fabulous night tonight!! I spent it doing one of my favorite things! Pouring over the written word... My friend Josie invited me to a book club meeting at a quaint little children's book store called "Petunia's Place" wrapping up a book that I love called "The Firefly Letters" by Margarita Engle... get it you'll love it! Not only is it one of my favorite books but Margarita Engle her self was going to be there!!! My friend Josie lead the discussion of the book and of course with her own eloquent flare for words did an amazing job...  I was the tiniest bit late and snuck in with an apologetic look to my friend for making her look bad then sat down and lost my self in the poetic language of Margarita as she explained where her inspiration came.

At the end of the time the obvious leader of this shin dig brought out the next 2 book club reads and directed everyone to a sheet of paper to sign and take the next books home as their very own. I spoke with a few people at the meeting and started to realize most of the people were educators of one sort or another... keeping an eye on the line at the sheet of paper and watching each person take their books I thought hmmm I wonder how this thing works?? I approached the leader of the pack and asked her " so can  you tell me how this works this is my first time" She said "are you going to come back we would love to have you" and I said "I would love to". She says " well then sign the sheet and take the books it's supported by  CRLP" so I did thinking  I wonder what CRLP is!!!

The California Reading and Literature Project... For TEACHERS oops I asked my friend " hey was I supposed to take these!!!" She said are you ganna come back I said ya she says then ya take um... I don't know I think I stole them and I think I'll have to clear my conscience on my next trip to "Petunia's".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all I am so glad you were there to share such a unique experience with me. And thanks for your kind words. Having Margarita Engle there felt like I was in the presence of a celebrity!!!!
So I just got the perfect idea... in order for you to clear your conscience you can donate the books to your Colton's school library... after the next meeting of course since you will need them for the next discussion! or to your child's teacher... Unless of course you love the books so much you can't part with them:) I can't wait to read them...I am so excited about the Frida picture book!
-josie

Brandi said...

I think I could live with that!!! As long as I announce to everyone that I'm not a teacher and I'm so sorry I took the books without telling them and then tell them of our plan and get their approval...LOL!!!
I'm soooo glad you invited me I loved EVERY minute!
I love all of the colors in the Frida piture book! I think the really capture the Frida vibe...