3/11/08

What was I thinking!!!!

I've always had this dream of being as healthy as I can be...from what I put in my mouth to what I do physically and emotionally...I have all kinds of books on these subjects and have done lots of things like yoga...pilates...daily exercise...herbal remedies...healthy eating plans...low fat...low carb...no carbs...high fiber and soooo many other things of course never truly making a life change...it can last months but eventually...well we all know the story...
As I am getting older I've committed to becoming that health conscious person I've always wanted to be...it's a huge mountain to climb but I am determined!!!
All this to say I've always wanted to be a runner...Hmmmmm...I never thought it would be easy...and I was right...my VERY athletic and health conscious sister Erin came to visit me this weekend and I told her about my running dream and her being the runner that she is was quick to give me beginner tips and tricks of the trade...she told me to start with a 1/4 mile nothing more and nothing less at least 4 x's a week and then increase a 1/4 mile every week until I'm up to 3 miles a day...so I said "a 1/4 mile that's just embarrassing. I'll have to do it when nobody in my neighborhood will see me so they aren't wondering what I'm doing running a 1/2 a block and walking back to my house"...anyway I started Monday..Me and Jack (my dog) I got out there started running and panting about a 1/2 a block into it...Jack did great pulling me along like a champ...I think the only thing that wasn't jiggling was my ankles but I kept on going...Erin was right!!! Just as I thought I was going to pass out and my lungs were going to collapse I was at the quarter mile...Jack was so disappointed!!!
I did it again today and I am sooooo sore I can hardly stand up....isn't that sad!!!
Well you gotta start some where!!!

7 comments:

DonnaG said...

Yeah Brandi! Good for you. Keep it up.

By the way, is Jack short for Captain Jack Sparrow?

Brandi said...

Yes!!! Captain Jack Sparrow Parson...Jack for short

sharon said...

Brandi,

"baby steps", & "Rome wasn't built in a day", are two true statements that come to mind. The fact is, you set a 1/4 mile goal and reached it. That is not shabby at all.

Michelle and I are walking again in the mornings and since I have been out of it so long, 30 minutes wears me out. I am determined to keep it up, my body needs it.

Thanks for sharing and see you this weekend.

Sharon

Brandi said...

I can't wait!!!! I am so looking forward to seeing you ALL!!!
Love ya

Anonymous said...

Now Honey, I'm sure that your elbows weren't jiggling either :)

That part about the ankles REALLY CRACKED ME UP!!!

Way to go & keep it up!! I know that you can do it :)

I Love You ,
Mom

Lori said...

I was totally laughing reading your post! I know that I couldn't run a 1/4 mile either! That's a full lap around the track! Thanks for your brutal honesty. I needed a chuckle.

The Woolcocks said...

What inspiration!!! It's so funny that I have been wanting to do the same. I've always wanted to be a runner. My brother is and I've never been. Thank you for the tips. I'm going to start with a quarter mile. We just got back from vacation yesterday. While we were gone, I thought a lot about this same subject. Imagine my surprise when reading your blog (I hope you don't mind...I get to it through Jen's). God has used you to give me an answer to my prayers. I long for my body to be the temple God created it to be. I want Him to have a healthy place to live. Keep it up! I'll be praying for you. Thanks!