4/14/08

Self Talk Soul Talk Ch. 3

Choosing Wise Words
Faulty assumptions...in searching my life for an example of living by a faulty assumption as truth...I came up with one that happens to me quite often...depending on others to get things done...I automatically assume they probably wont be able to be counted on to get it done or to do it correctly so I would be better off doing it my self so I'm not having to do it again later or be disappointed in some way...
Jennifer says: our thoughts and our actions flow from our assumptions.
Root and Fruit:
Jennifer says: Simply put, our assumptions are the root, and our thoughts are the fruit. The root of wrong thinking is always a faulty assumption. The root of right thinking is always an assumption based on truth.
Here are some examples of fruits you may have:
Hypersensitivity with others: hypersensitivity grows from the root of pride and an unhealthy level of self-consciousness...
Perfectionism: this springs from the root of low self esteem or insecurity.
insecurity
angry
intolerance
defensiveness
feelings and thoughts are fruits. Assumptions are roots.
Q: When people look at you what kind of tree are you? What kind of fruit are you producing?
I think I have different kinds of fruit on my tree: insecurity, self consciousness, pride
Jennifer says: we gain knowledge and understanding by examining ourselves, trying, learning and even failing...
Ways to wisdom:
Ask God for wisdom!!!
James 1:5 if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who give generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
Q: Whose truth do you elevate most highly in your life? Yours, our culture's or Gods?
Unfortunately I think a lot of times I elevate my own truth first and I feel like God is just standing there waiting for me to grab onto real truth His truth...and I am continuously having to remind my self I am separated from this world...their ways are not my ways...that is not the standard I set my life to...but Gods...it is so easy to get sucked into the worlds way of thinking and setting our truth by the worlds standards...Thank you God for continuously reminding me who you are and where you need to be held up in my life...that you are truth unwavering and unfailing...
You can often receive wisdom through counsel...
Jennifer says: Sometimes we just need to listen to others, learn from their mistakes and experiences, and recognize that others struggle the same way we do. other people can teach us a lot if we'll take the time to listen.
Q: Do you have a wise guide: Do you have someone you can walk with in order to gain wisdom? Maybe you are a guide, and you will continue to gain as you begin to give.
Proverbs 16:23
A wise man's heart guides his mouth,
and his lips promote instruction.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey girl. You're doing a great job with this book...look out Oprah!